Many people believe that since their home has been wired once, they never have to address wiring issues again. Unfortunately, this is not always the truth. There are a number of reasons why you may need to rewire your home. For instance, you may need to increase the number of outlets in your home, your home may have flooded or undergone a fire, or your wiring may simply be old and outdated. Here is what you need to know about rewiring a home.
Signs That You Should Rewire Your House
A home that keeps our family safe is important to us all. Since the wiring in your home is hidden behind the walls, it is usually not thought about until you need to plug something in or the power goes out. However, as a responsible homeowner, you should be aware of the warning signs that may indicate an issue that needs to be addressed. Here are a few indicators that you need to have your wiring inspected:
• If you hear cracking or popping sounds or see sparks when you plug or unplug something
• If your home has experienced a fire or a flood
• If your home has aluminum wire instead of copper
• If you suspect you may have pests in your walls, attic, or basement
• If you experience frequent tripped breakers or blown fuses
• If you notice lightbulbs dimming or flickering or you hear them sizzling
• If you notice outlet covers or cords getting hot or discolored
• If your home is over 40 years old
• If you rely on extension cords to power things throughout your home
Why Rewiring Your Home Can Increase Safety
If your home is not properly wired, you are at an increased chance of an electrical fire breaking out in your home. Electrical fires can quickly spread behind the walls of your home and eventually throughout your home. Because they start behind the walls, they are difficult to contain at first, which is why they can be devastating. Replacing your wiring helps to reduce your risk of fires in your home, helping to keep your family, pets, home, and belongings as safe as possible.
Wiring your home once is not enough to protect it forever. If you think it is time to rewire your home, Erik M. Krise Electrical Contractor is here to help. Give us a call today at 856-769-3932 to schedule an appointment to have the wiring in your home inspected.